Richard Wright

Richard Wright

Quote

"If we had been allowed to participate in the vital processes of America's national growth, what would have been the texture of our lives, the pattern of our traditions, the routine of our customs, the state of our arts, the code of our laws; the function of our government! Whatever others may say, we black folk say that America would have been stronger and greater!"

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Day 7 : Shreveport to Austin

This will be the final day of my trip and the shortest of them all with no sites to see but the road and the landscape. On this trek back I plan to listen to most of the music I have listed in my Multimedia Tab. This drive will last 6 hours so I have plenty of time to think of the theme of "12 Million Black Voices" and what Richard Wright was trying to say about the South and the black culture there. I hope that the places I have gone to visit have established a sense of knowledge in me on what the true South really is now apart from what you only see on television and just the highway. I have gone all around the three states of Texas, Louisiana and Mississippi and tasted many different foods by now hopefully. I expect that my horizons on music in the South has expanded greatly and I now know what many people went through during the 1920's and the 1960's Civil Rights Movements. Most of all I hope I come to respect the history that has happened and where it had led to today since I myself am a southern and it is essential to know what you represent even if you do not live or work on a farm. These are my plans for the road trip and I hope you have had as great of a time reading about it as I plan to have experiencing it.
Back in Austin I hope this trip has been of use in relating Wright's novel to what I saw. By day 7 I hope to be able to answer the question on how did growing up in Mississippi and going to school there influence his take on the American South and the struggles that many African-American people worked to overcome and eventually achieve social equality. Please take the time to answer my pool question on the right hand side of the page and let me know what you found most interesting. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment